Nepal Social Work Symposium 2017
School of Social Sciences at Thames International College successfully organized Nepal Social Work Symposium on June 26 & 27, 2017 on the theme 'Promoting Community and Environmental Sustainability'. The Concept was centered on the theme of World Social Work Day 2017. The event pursued to bring eminent speakers, advocates and activists to create a dialogue to discuss about how to collectively act for environmental sustainability and the interrelation between wellbeing and physical environment. The objective of this symposium was to give platform for people to work together to create a better community and a better nation. The event also aimed on bringing together diverse groups of people who can work for the same cause. The symposium was filled with instructive series of events like Speaker Series, Book Talk, Photo Booth, Panel Discussion and many more.
A two day grand event was adorned by prominent personalities who enlightened the participatory audience with their knowledge.The first day of the event was held at Thames premises on the 26th June, which comprised of as Panel Discussion, Speaker Series, and Sharing Session.
June 26: The First Day of Nepal Social Work Symposium
- "Role of Renewable Energy in Sustainable Development of Nepal": Speaker Series by Mr. Kushal Gurung, founder and CEO of Windpower Nepal. The series was first program of the event where he acquainted the audience with his experiences and also provided insights on the significance of renewable energy.
- Followed by another speaker series the event had Mr. Bhusan Tuladhar, Regional Technical Advisor, South Asia at UN Habitat, Kathmandu Nepal to discourse about:"Dhulomandu and its Solution", where he provided insights on pollution and the ways to combat it.
- The Last program of the grand event ended with an intense and edifying session-Panel Discussion led by ICIMOD on "Environment, Community Development and Sustainability".The discussion comprised of renowned panelist where the moderator presided the session. The discussion was moderated by Mr.Udayan Mishra.
The Panelists were:
- Mr. Nand Kishor Agrawal,
- Ms Iris Leikanger,
- Ms Bindu Bhandari.
June 27: Second Day of Nepal Social Work Symposium
- First program of second day of the symposium was initiated by Ms. Sanjeevani Yonzon-Program Manager, Wildlife Conservation Nepal on the topic "Promoting Community and Environment Sustainability: Experience from the field". The session covered Ms. Yonzons's on the field experiences with environment sustainability.
- Pratap Adhikari and Subash Thapa, from Women Development Advocacy Center conducted the following session on the issue "Community Engagement for Sustainability". The dialogue provided insights about community engagement for sustainability.
- The closing session of the Nepal Social Work Symposium 2017 comprised of a speaker series. Mr. Renaud Meyer, Country Director-UNDP Nepal discoursed on "Sustainable Development Goals".
The highlights of symposium persisted to be panel discussion, speaker series and information sharing from various esteemed personalities. The two day grand event ended on a positive note with a networking session.
Need help choosing a program?
Talk to us about which program best suits your professional goals.