Nepal Business Gabfest 2018
A platform where professionals, business enthusiasts, politicians, academia, and students unite to discuss the evolving trends and subjects in the domain of management and business industry, as the name has it–The Nepal Business Gabfest. After the success of Nepal Business Gabfest 2017, the annual flagship event was yet again organized by Thames International College in 2018. With the theme of "Nepal Recently: Business, Politics, Governance and IT", on 30th and 31st May eminent personalities, successful entrepreneurs and students assembled at Thames International College for one of the major management roundtables. The event was organized by Thames international college along with the Management Club and IT Club of Thames in collaboration with The Art of Living Foundation.
Not confined to a definite issue the event discussed current affairs, status of cyber industry in Nepal, consumer protection, bureaucracy, policy making, corporate social responsibility, government, diplomacy in politics and its issues and about the banking sector. With the objective of acquainting the students of Thames International College as well as participant colleges over the city, the two day event provided the participants with networking opportunities. The event also provided a platform for participants to showcase their business and IT skills via various sessions. Sessions were organized under three different methodologies:- plenary session, panel discussion and workshops. Plenary session included a book talk by Lal Babu Pandit, the current minister of Federal Affairs and General Administration. The second session of book talk had Mr. Sujeev Shakya the author of Unleashing Nepal to talk about Nepal and its economy.
The highlight of the two day event panel discussion took place both days.The First session of the panel discussion covered 'Ethical Self and Business Ethics'. The discussion consisted of eminent speakers, where the moderator presided over the session. We had Ms. Neeva Mathema Pradhan -World Forum Ethics in Business Nepal as a moderator.
The speakers were:
- Upendra Poudyal: Director of Nabil Bank and National Banking Institute of Nepal
- Kishore Thapa: Chairman of SAARC Association of Architects (SAARCH), Former Secretary for different Ministries under Government of Nepal
- H.E. Maria Teresa Pessoa: Brazilian Ambassador to Nepal, Diplomat
- Dr Shankhar Sharma: Former Vice Chairman, National Planning Commission
- Sandip Shah: General Manager at Himal Power Limited
The Second Session which took place on 31st May discoursed on the theme "Are We Safe? , Cyber Security and Consumer Protection". For the same we had Mr. Allen Tuladhar-Country Director – Microsoft Innovation Center Nepal to preside over the panel discussion.
The Speakers were:
- Bijay Limbu: Chief Technical Officer at Rigo Technology
- Asgar Ali: CEO - eSewa and Fone Pay, Adviser to Prime Minister of Nepal
- Shobhan Adhikari: Deputy Spokesperson and Deputy Manager at NTC
- Advocate Kumari Kharel: Secretary – Forum for Consumer's Right
- Nabindra Aryal: SP CIB Nepal Police
- Laxmi Prasad Yadav: Director General, Department of Information and Technology
The third program was supplemented by workshops and games. Workshops and games included FIFA Gaming Competition, stock market basics, management games, appathon and I have an Idea!, Idea Pitching Competition. The grand event ended with a networking session.